Phuket has a fantastic array of venues, activities, and attractions to ensure fun and fulfilling exhibitions, conventions, and team-building functions. It’s one of the easiest islands to get to too, either direct, or from Bangkok’s flight hub at Suvarnabhumi Airport just an hour’s flight away.
Join the millions of satisfied clients who’ve already visited Phuket and you’ll find it’s no surprise that Conde Nast Magazine named Phuket as one of the Top 3 Best Island Destinations in 2013.
As a 1MICE destination Phuket has it all, as you’ll find out in this list of reasons why you should choose the island for your next meeting, incentive, conference or exhibition.
The Phuket stats
1. 27 hotel meeting venues
2. 636 hotels
3. 37,543 hotel rooms
4. 20,000 home stay rooms
5. 60,457 flights per year
6. PATA Heritage Award 2013
7. ASEAN Award for Environmental City Sustainability 2011
8. 22-33 degrees year round
9. Has hosted domestic and regional business events such as:
- PIMEX – Phuket International Boat Show (9-12 January 2014)
- Rotary International meeting (24-26 May 2013)
- 15th Congress of Asia Pacific Blood and Marrow Transplantation (29-31 October 2010)
- Congress of Malacology 2010 (18-24 July 2010)
- China’s Amway meeting 2012 (15 April – 15 May 2012)
10. Is set to host events such as:
- International Conference on Biological, Chemical and Environmental Sciences (21-22 January 2014)
- ICEIBM 2014: International Conference on Economics, Industrial and Business Management (6-7 February 2014)
- ICISE 2014: International Conference on Information and Systems Engineering (6-7 February 2014)
- ICB 2014: International Conference on Biology (6-7 February 2014)
- ICBEFSM 2015: International Conference on Business, Economics, Financial Sciences and Management (15-16 February 2015)
11. Phuket has eight incredible conference venues all with world-class facilities including breakout meeting areas, dedicated exhibition space, the latest communications technology, a variety of dining options and many supportive services.
12. The Duangchanok Convention Hall at the Duangjitt Hotel and Spa is the largest venue in Phuket with facilities to accommodate 2000 people.
13. The Millennium Resort Patong is located right in the centre of Phuket, with a shopping mall attached too.
14. The Merlin Beach Resort Patong is great value and has its own private beach you can use to host your event.
15. The Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort and Spa is absolutely incredible – a real crowd pleaser of a resort with a huge function room.
16. The Cape Panwa Hotel is the perfect choice for anyone wanting some privacy for their MICE event.
17. The Radisson Blu Plaza Resort has an impressive range of swimming pools.
18. Movenpick Resort and Spa Karon Beach Phuket really cares about getting it right for the customer, and their dedication to green practices to suit the organisers is outstanding.
Transport in Phuket
19. Most nationalities do not need prearranged visas, as visas for up to 30 days are granted on arrival.
20. Phuket International Airport is efficient and welcomes direct flights from all over the globe. The airport is constantly being improved and upscaled and there are epic plans in place to have a new and improved airport for 2015.
21. Plan and Policy Analyst at the Phuket Governor’s Office, SeksanArayaphan, has given his word he can do anything to help your event run more smoothly. This includes any assistance at the airport, in closing off roads and in working with the MICE venues.
22. VIP fast-track clearance at Phuket International Airport can be arranged.
23. Special security measures for your safety and convenience, as needed.
24. It is easy to arrange executive pick up from the airport into Phuket Town.
25. Phuket Airport is just 30 minutes away from the Old Town.
26. Car hire can easily be arranged from the airport.
27. Taxis are great value and easy to call around Phuket Island.
28. All the venues listed above offer transfers to pick you up.
Service in Phuket
29. The people of Thailand are well known for being incredibly hospitable. From my experience there, I can definitely verify this. Your delegates are guaranteed to be happy with the Thai service.
30. Thailand is a welcoming Buddhist country filled with people of a peace-loving nature and who aim to please.
31. Free Wi-Fi is readily available all over Phuket in the public spaces, and fast speed broadband is available in the hotels stated above.
32. Flexibility. The staff I spoke to at both Merlin Beach Hotel and the Hilton Hotel clearly stated that they could be totally flexible with your plans.
33. Their spaces are so adaptable that if you want to change anything from the original plan they will do their upmost to help.
34. Knowledge. All the hotel owners and events organisers I spoke to are so knowledgeable about their hotel and about Phuket that they will be able to advise on any question, issue or demand.
35. Experience. As well as knowledge and flexibility the staff at the main MICE hotels are experienced in their field. They’ve all organised and put on many events and know what will work.
36. Trust. You can wholeheartedly trust the staff at all the hotels I’ve reviewed. They’re passionate about their industry, and about you and you team getting everything you want out of the experience.
37. Dedication. As well as the attributes above, all the hotel staff will be dedicated to you and your team during the whole experience.
38. There’s a lot of experience on the island – everyone works for tourists and it’s the main trade. They aim to please.
Food and drinks
39. The Hogroast Cornwall in Phuket is unrivalled. All the hotels listed above serve a delicious range of Thai and Western styles in a buffet service for your delegates.
40. Cocktails are popular in Phuket and each hotel listed has its own signature dish.
41. Food is served ‘Thai-style’ in the centre of the table and everyone can help themselves. Great for team bonding.
42. In Phuket in particular you have to try:
- Hokkian Noodles – yellow noodles tasty when stir-fried with soy sauce
- MeeSua – more yellow noodles, perfect for breakfast
- Kanohm Jin – rice noodles served with an array of different sauces
- MeeHuhnPahChahng – stir-fried noodles served with pork spare ribs soup
43. There are many Muslim and vegetarian restaurant around Phuket too, to suit all needs.
Down time in Phuket
44. Health and beauty sector in Phuket is well catered for. You can have a massage by the beach, a facial in the shopping centre or relax at one of the hotel spas attached to the great venues above.
45. Dental health and certain medical procedures are very popular in Phuket and can be organised very easily.
46. Phuket is a wealthy part of Thailand and the elegance of the people there reflect this, as does the strength and beauty of the nature and the accommodation.
47. Tailors are all over Phuket – a perfect jaunt out before, after or during a busy MICE event.
48. Phuket is wonderfully romantic. If any of your guests would like to stay on before the event or after there are many experiences and areas to enjoy.
49. Phuket is also great for families. The hotels I reviewed all have child-friendly areas meaning you can bring your children along and see them during your downtime or before or after the main event.
Prices in Phuket
50. The weakness of the Thai Bhat against many other currencies means it is incredibly good value to travel to Thailand right now.
51. Phuket is one of the cheapest areas there is to hold an event.
52. Bangkok is one of the least expensive places to fly to in the whole of Asia, and Phuket is only an easy add on to that.
53. The 7 hotels listed above cover a range of budgets, so you can find the right venue to suit your finances.
54. Ancient temples and modern skyscrapers stand side by side in Phuket and sleepy traditional villages exist just minutes from teeming cities. This means that during any down time at your MICE event your delegates will be sure to find their kind of cultural entertainment.
55. The Big Buddha Temple, or ‘Pra Buddha Ming MongkolAke Naga Kiri’ is situated on top of Nag Gerd Hill. It’s 25 metres wide and 45 metres tall. A must see for anyone visiting Phuket.
56. Chalong Temple, Simon Cabaret, Phuket Aquarium, Kathu Shooting Range, Phuket Butterfly and Insect Park, Phuket Zoo, Phuket Cultural Centre and Naka Market may also be of interest to your delegates.
57. Surrounded by 32 little islands to explore
58. Sunset up at Promthep Cape
59. Yachting at the Marina
60. There are 7 golf courses on Phuket Island.
61. Phuket has 3,219 kilometres coastline and some of the finest beaches and diving spots in both the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman Sea.
62. It’s an immaculate resort destination, where the island’s verdant jungle interior rolls down to some of the world’s finest beaches.
63. Fly into Phuket International Airport and you will fly over the beach – sure to impress the hardiest of delegates.
64. If you want budget beaches head to Pattaya, if you like shopping go to Bangkok, enjoy lakes then HoanKiem, and for culture try Chang Mai. But if you want somewhere incredible with great infrastructure, the most impressive scenery, some of the world’s most luxurious accommodation, the best beaches and top venues with food and drink to impress for your perfect Thailand MICE Destination, then Phuket has it all.